Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Picky Eaters - What's your take?

This morning, in my sleep deprived state, I was checking out my twitter feed, and came across an article about picky eaters written by Joyce Slaton. It made me think. I have 1 picky eater, and 1 not so picky eater. As I read the article and reflected on the information provided, I'm torn. I would love to think that the reason my 2 year old daughter is a picky eater is because of genetics (I was also a picky eater), or that it's a passing phase, or some other health reason, but I have to say, I actually think it is my fault that she has become a picky eater.

Here's my thoughts. My son was a little picky when he was younger. Basically he did not like red meat. He would rather have chicken instead of beef, but he would eat everything else if beef was served, like in tacos. He'd eat the tortilla cheese, tomato, and sometimes lettuce. I just kept offering him beef as I made it, and eventually he found that he liked it. We didn't go out to eat much when he was younger, so he never really tasted soda, french fries, or anything like that. As he got older, we started eating fast food a lot more... Enter kid #2.

Now my daughter on the other hand, she loves noodles, tomatoes, and fruit. If I serve anything else, she refuses to eat it. BUT she will scarf down all the junk she can find, and having a 7 year old in school,and having to have stuff for lunches and after school snacks for the poor "starving" child, means we have a lot of junk in the house. (And yes, I actually am working on making his snacks and lunches healthier, that just takes time and energy, and being a single mom, I don't have much of either.) Because it is so much easier to just go grab McDonalds, Sonic, or whatever, than spending 30 minutes + cooking, we have eaten fast food a lot. A lot more than I would like to admit. Where my son had never tasted soda, let alone drank caffinated soda, my daughter knows exactly what Dr. Pepper tastes like, and will often steal my soda from me. When my son had no idea what hot pockets were, my daughter now routinely asks for them.... You get the picture. My home is not the same home that it was when my son was younger, and unfortunately I really feel that my daughter is suffering from it.

So with all that being said, Is it my fault that she is turing into a picky eater or is it genetics? I'll let you decide. And trust me, I don't think anyone could say anything that I don't already know, or feel badly about.

No comments:

Post a Comment